US immigration law allows for the immigration of foreigners to the United States based on relationship to a US citizen or legal permanent resident (green card holder). US citizens may sponsor their spouses, parents, children of any age, brothers, and sisters. Legal permanent residents may petition for their spouses and children under the age of 21. The sponsored relative becomes eligible to have his or her immigrant visa or Green Card application processed only if the visa petition is approved.

 Ray was very professional,polite,honest and straightforward. We had a great consultation where he explained the whole situation and gave us the best options possible to resolve the situation. He took his time to get to know us,the situation and made us feel at ease. In probably 3-4 months I’ve received my permanent green card! I was so pleasantly surprised how quick and professional he handheld my case. I had a great experience with Ray and would recommend him to everyone who needs help to resolve their immigration issues.


Fiancé Visa / Fiancée Visa (K1)

A US citizen may apply for a K-1 fiancée visa for the person they intend to marry. If approved, the K-1 visa allows US entry for ninety days. An American citizen must file a petition with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services. An approved petition is valid for a period of four months from the date of USCIS action, and may be revalidated by the consular officer. Within the ninety day period the fiancée enters the US, the US citizen and the fiancée must marry. The fiancée must then apply for permanent resident status in the United States.

Some applicants do not qualify for Fiancée Visa, unless a waiver of inadmissibility is granted: applicants who have committed serious criminal acts; are likely to become a public charge; have used illegal means to enter the United States; have a communicable disease or a dangerous mental disorder; are drug addicts; or are subject to the J1 two-year foreign residency requirement.

The alien fiancée must apply for work authorization with the USCIS in order to accept employment in the United States. The marriage must take place within 90 days of admission into the United States. Following the marriage, the alien spouse must apply to the USCIS for permanent residency. The applicant is initially granted conditional resident status—the condition being the person remains married to the US citizen spouse. After two years, the applicant must apply to the USCIS for removal of the conditional status. The applicant must submit evidence that they are still married and have a life together.

I am originally from India and have lived in the US for 10 years and I am a US citizen. I met my wife when I went to visit my relatives in India and we got married there. When I returned to the US I needed help with her visa application as I didn’t know where to start. Mr. Scheetz was very helpful in bringing my wife to the US so we could be together. We feel so grateful to have had him as our Immigration Lawyer and for everything he has done for us. Mr. Scheetz has been wonderful to work with.

– Maninder S.

Spouse and Children Visa (K3 and K4)

The K3 visa for spouse of a US citizen and K4 visa for the spouse’s children were created to reduce the separation between a US citizen and his or her foreign spouse while waiting abroad for an immigrant visa. The K3 and K4 visas allow the foreign spouse and his or her children to enter the United States as nonimmigrants, re-unite with their family here, and then apply for permanent resident status (Green Card) while in the United States.

To establish K3 visa classification for a foreign spouse, an American citizen must file a K3 petition with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services and show that an immigrant petition (Form I-130) is pending. A petition is valid for a period of four months from the date of USCIS action, and may be revalidated by the consular officer.


Contact the Law Office of Raphael M. Scheetz to discuss how we can help you.



I was so lucky that Mr. Scheetz was my Immigration Lawyer. Everything seemed to turn from black to white after meeting with him. His immediate attention and action were extremely impressive. Thank you!

– Gina B.

I am so grateful for what Mr. Scheetz did for my cousin William J., he saved his life. And also he proved me wrong. My family and I are eternally thankful for all his efforts.

– Mike N.