Immigrants are the lifeblood of our nation, and to this day nearly 15% of the U.S. population is made up of immigrants. However, immigrating to the United States can be one of the more difficult things an individual can do. The length of the strenuous immigration process and the ever-changing immigration landscape in this country makes the process increasingly challenging. Fortunately, many immigrants have found just how helpful an experienced immigration attorney can be. Your attorney will be able to guide you through the process, while ensuring that you meet all of your deadlines and accurately submit all the necessary information.
The most challenging part of this process may be finding the right immigration attorney for you and your family. Many attorneys will be able to assist you as you progress through the immigration process, but ensuring that your attorney is qualified to meet your needs is critical. Thus, it is wise that you ask certain questions when determining which attorney is right for you.
Below are a few questions you may want to consider when hiring an immigration attorney:
Question 1: What area of law does the attorney practice?
- It is important to understand what other types of law the attorney specializes in. Any attorney can represent you in an immigration case, but it is best to ensure that your attorney specializes in immigration. Immigration law is complex, and thus, it is important that your attorney focuses on immigration law.
Question 2: Is the attorney a member of the AILA?
- Is the attorney a member of the American Immigration Lawyer’s Association (AILA)? While not required, an attorney that is a member of the AILA is likely up to date on the current immigration legal landscape and probably predominantly focuses on immigration law.
Question 3: What’s the attorney’s plan for my case?
- Ensure that the attorney has laid out a clear and concise plan of action for how he or she will approach your case. It is important that your attorney is forthcoming regarding what you will need to do and what types of applications are necessary. Be wary of an individual that brushes off your questions and does not clearly define plans for your case.
Question 4: Has the attorney handled a case similar to mine?
- The spectrum of potential immigration cases is broad, so it is wise to ask your attorney if he or she has handled a situation similar to yours. This will serve as a strong indication that the attorney will know how to handle the matter efficiently.
Question 5: What is the timeframe for my case?
- It is important to be wary of an attorney that is not forthcoming about a general time frame for your case. While the immigration process can be slow and filled with delays, a reputable immigration attorney will be able to give you a general time frame for how long a situation like yours may take to be resolved.
Do You Need Help?
The United States immigration process can be filled with a multitude of twists and turns during the pendency of your case. The U.S. Department of Citizenship and Immigration Services has an abundance of obstacles in place in order to vet immigrants hoping to receive some type of permanent residency status. Fortunately, with the help of an experienced immigration law attorney you will be able to relax knowing that you have a knowledgeable immigration professional advocating on your behalf. If you are in need of assistance contact the Law Office of Raphael M. Scheetz. Call 800-450-3140 or send a request through their website to schedule a consultation.